Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Settling affairs

The executor of Dan's estate has been appointed and I've handed over all the relevant paperwork they need to wind up the estate. It can take up to 9 months to finalise everything and they charge up to 3.5% of the value of the estate as executor fees. Fortunately I don't need to pay estate duty tax because if everything is left to the spouse you don't need to pay, estate duty will be payable when I die so it becomes the kids problem, hopefully not for a long time yet. Anyway I'm glad someone else is doing the estate because I've got enough to do without having to worry about that as well. I've had to open new bank accounts in my own name as we always had all our finances combined and all the accounts were in Dan's name. Now that it is the end of the month I'm monitoring to ensure that all the debit orders have been switched to run from my new account. If that is all done then at least the finances are running smoothly again and the bills being paid. The medical bills are not yet all resolved but the total to date is R700 000, luckily I haven't needed to pay much myself, medical aid has paid most of it, with lots of prompting and follow ups because they make mistakes. Hopefully that will all be settled in the next few weeks.

The boys finish school on Friday for the Easter holidays. On Saturday they both play in a rugby tournament in Stellenbosch, and then for Easter we will all go to Langebaan.

No comments: